Healthy neighborhoods are vital to creating communities of lasting value.
With this tenet in mind, City Council and City staff have been working diligently to reinstitute neighborhood planning so that all City neighborhoods are thriving, vibrant places.
Starting with the City's core neighborhoods, the City has worked with citizens in three focus areas, since February 2012, to complete area action plans. The focus areas are North Florence, Northwest Florence and East Florence. These are some of the City's oldest and most challenged neighborhoods surrounding Downtown.
Download the Florence Neighborhood Action Plan Final Report.
Issues like vacant and abandoned properties, neglectful property maintenance and illegal activity must be improved in order for these areas to prosper. Therefore, in an effort to establish a revitalization plan that addresses these issues, the Neighborhood Action Plan was completed in January 2013. The plan is a result of the residents' concerns, and what they believe to be impediments to neighborhood vitality.
Moving forward, the current phase of the neighborhood revitalization process has involved detailed analysis and inventory of land use, market conditions, demographics, housing stock and public infrastructure. See the latest PowerPoint presentation from the last public meeting here.
The overarching goal is to implement redevelopment and stabilization plans through tangible catalytic projects that significantly improve and enhance the North, Northwest and East Florence communities, thereby enhancing quality of life for the City of Florence. Please continue to visit this page for more information, as the process moves forward.
Revitalization in the News
- City of Florence to spend millions to fix-up neighborhoods
- After 20 public meetings, Florence City Council approves revitalization plan
- Florence's neighborhood revitalization blueprint comes to light
- Plans moving forward for Florence neighborhood revitalization
- Improving neighborhoods on the mind of Florence City Council
- Officials seek input for Florence neighborhood revitalization plan
- Consultants identify four Florence neighborhoods for redevelopment