Recycling in the City of Florence
The City of Florence offers residents of the City curbside recycling and picks up recycled materials on the same day as household garbage collection. Recycling is a worthy goal for all residents and communities.
Note: The City of Florence does not offer recycling for commercial businesses. Only residential recycling is provided.
The City utilizes “Single Stream Recycling”, where all recyclables are mixed together in one collection bin. In addition to being easy on consumers, this approach delivers an added efficiency by reducing vehicle miles for collection trucks and related tailpipe emissions. The “single stream” recyclables are collected and transported to a “hauler” which bundles the recyclables and delivers them to a Material Recovery Center or sorting facility. There, the materials are separated by type so they can be recycled.
City residents are provided one free 18 gallon green bin for recycling through the City’s Sanitation Division. Additional bins are available for purchase, $10 each. To purchase a bin please call the Utility Finance Department at 843-665-3155. If you have questions please call the Public Works Department at (843) 665-3236 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Additional Recycling Information
The City provides waste oil sites for your residential used motor oil, which you may generate from your vehicle.
These sites are located at:
- Marion St. Fire Station – E. Marion Street
- Ben Dozier Fire Station – W. Palmetto Street
- Edisto Fire Station – S. Edisto Drive
These sites are for residential use only. A maximum of 5 gallons per trip is permitted. We encourage you to use these sites for your motor vehicle waste oil.
Additional used motor oil collection sites:
- City fire station, W. Palmetto St. (Used oil filters also accepted)
- City fire station, Edisto St. (Used oil filters also accepted)
- Advance Auto, 931 Irby St.
- Advance Auto, 1802 West Evans St.
- Auto Zone, 830 S. Irby St.
- Advance Auto, Hwy. 52 and Ron McNair Blvd.
- Auto Zone, 215 S. Ron McNair Blvd.
ITEMS THAT ARE RECYCLABLE
- # 1 Plastics (soda bottles, cooking oil bottles, peanut butter jars, etc.)
- # 2 Plastics (detergent bottles, milk jugs, water jugs/bottles, spray bottles, etc.)
- Aluminum, Tin or Steel (foil, soda cans not crushed, cans – coffee, soup, etc.)
- Newspapers & Inserts
- Magazines & Phonebooks
- White Paper
- Cardboard (must be cut down to fit in recycle bin)
ITEMS NOT RECYCLABLE
- No Glass
- Do Not Bag your Recyclables (recyclable items should be placed loose in the recycle bin)
- No Plastic Bags (plastic bags are a serious contaminant and jam sorting machines at recycling facilities)
- No Flattened Bottles or Cans (when “flattened, the sorting equipment mistakenly sends them to the paper side of the facility)
- No Hazardous Household Materials (Paint, automotive fluids, household cleaners and similar materials must be disposed of properly)
- No Non-Recyclable Plastics (plastic lids, styrofoam, to-go boxes, etc.)
- No Liquids or Food (please empty and rinse plastic bottles to eliminate spills and splatters)
- No Shredded Paper or other Small Items (often become litter before reaching recycle centers – once at the facility many times fall through cracks, stick to belts and contaminate sorted materials)
- No Rope-like Items (water hoses, holiday lights, leather belts, etc. – these items wrap around machines in the sorting facility)
- No Diapers or Bio-Hazardous Waste (diapers or sanitary products, syringes and needles – these items pose a risk to workers)
- No Scrap Metal (special scrap metal collection is offered at least once a year by the City)