Citizen Police Academy
(Meet Your Local Police)
The City of Florence Police Department is a service organization. In order to provide the best possible service to our community, the provider and the receiver should understand each other's viewpoints. Television shows about police work and the general lack of accurate information about police authority has created an unrealistic image of the police and what they can and cannot do to address the criminal issues facing our society. The Citizen Police Academy will give the citizens of Florence the opportunity to learn about their local police agency. The average citizen has always been interested in the role of the police in the community.
If you live or work in the City of Florence, chances are you will receive some type of service from the Florence Police Department. After attending the Citizen Police Academy, you will be better informed about our agency and you will know what to expect when you meet one of our officers.
What do you get?
- You will become informed on the actual role and responsibilities of the police department.
- Police will benefit from the wealth of knowledge citizens can give about their community.
- The program is very informative, honest and down to earth.
- You will learn what is expected of a police officer and the extensive training they receive.
- Hands on firearms training. (Optional)
- Great instructors and fascinating information.
- Questions you have always wondered about will be answered.
- It is not intended to make citizens into police officers but to allow citizens to learn police operations.
- All the instructors are extremely interesting and effective.
- Time well spent.
You will become informed on the actual role and responsibilities of the police department.
Who are we?
All instructors are actual police officers and civilian employees assigned to the various topics presented. You will meet the Chief of Police, managers, supervisors, patrol and traffic officers, investigators, police chaplains and a host of other instructors and personnel. You will have the opportunity to ride along with a police officer and observe them at work as they interact with the public.
What must I do?
The Citizen Police Academy consists of six (6) weeks of classroom and field visits and meets once a week for 2 1/2 hour sessions from 6:00 pm until 8:30 pm. In order to be approved for attendance, you must first complete the application part of this brochure. You will receive notification informing you of your acceptance once your application has been processed. Remember, class space is limited and slots will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
The Citizens Police Academy is provided to you free of charge. If interested in attending, please contact the Florence Police Department Community Action Team at 843-665-3191