1) Florence’s original city limits formed a circle with a 1 mile radius. You can still see traces of the circular outline on city maps. You can also see a marker at the old center point on Baroody Street.
2) The Florence Fire Department’s oldest working fire truck is 96 years old. (Don’t worry; the 1918 Seagrave has been officially retired!)
3) Seven elected officials serve the City of Florence; 6 city council members and 1 mayor.
4) The City of Florence has 14 parks/recreation areas. That’s about 600 acres for swinging, climbing, sliding, walking or throwing a stick for your dog—so get up and get out!
5) In fiscal year 2005-2006, the city issued 3,918 businesses licenses.
6) On an average day, 13,000,000 gallons of water are processed by the City’s Water Service.
7) There are 21.5 square miles within the Florence City Limits.
8) Careline is a number you can call to report things that need attention within the city limits. Dial 843-665-2273. (A living, breathing human will answer during business hours.)
9) The City of Florence has a population of about 37,000 people.
10) One of Florence’s best known intersections is called “Five Points”, but 4 streets actually meet there.